Dr. Suresh Pothani
Date of Joining in ICMR:
15th June 1983
|Phone No:||Cell: 09849178671|
Education & Academic
B.V.Sc & AH (1974-1979) from College of Veterinary Science, A.P Agricultural University, Hyderabad - 500030. India.
M.V.Sc. (Microbiology) (1980-1982) From College of Veterinary Science, AP Agricultural University, Tirupathi – 517502, India
NIH Post Doctoral Fellow & Visiting Scientist (2003 to 2004) University of Washington & National Primate Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA.
Subjects of Specialization:
Veterinary Microbiology, Care breeding and Management of
Underwent specialized training in the following areas of Research:
- "Cell mediated immunity" at Indian Veterinary Research Institute, IzathNagar, and U.P. (June –July 1989)
- "Software computer courses" from M/s. PCL Co Ltd. Hyderabad for computer programs (June 1991).
- Honorary Animal Welfare Officer training from Animal Welfare Board of India. Min. of Environment and Forests. Govt. of India. (Oct.1994).
- Techniques in Molecular Biology PCR, Plasmid DNA isolation, Sequencing, Southern and Northern Hybridization, at the Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology Hyderabad (Nov – Jan 1996)
- Training & Workshop WLI– Central Zoo Authority AP Forest Department. Collaborative Consultation Workshop (Southern Region). Research priorities in Zoological Parks, (Oct 1996)
- Short course on "Recent Advances in Diagnostic Pathology" at Indian Veterinary Research Institute Izath Nagar U.P. (Sept 2001)
- "Fundamentals of Laboratory Health and Safety and Laboratory Design" at Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad. (June 2006)
- Advanced Techno Management Training course in Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad from (May - June 2009)
- AAALAC International Ad hoc Specialists and Site visitor’s Orientation training program Bangalore (June 2012)
- CPCSEA Nominees training at National Institute of Animal Welfare Ballabgarh (Feb 2014)
- Current Regulatory Requirements for Members of Institutional Ethics Committee Organized by Clinical Development Services Agency (CDSA) Dept. Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, GoI, held at Osmania Medical college, Hyderabad. (Oct - 2014)
- Managing Technology Value Chains for Directors and Division Heads in Administrative Staff College of India at Hyderabad (Jan 2015)
- Virology and Microbiological monitoring of laboratory animals at Medical Research Council, Carshalton, Microbiology Laboratory, North Harrow, Embryo transfer and Cryo freezing techniques at St. George's Medical Hospital, Tooting in UK (Apr-Sep 1990).
- Bio safety and Risk Management in Animal House” International training organized by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Atlanta, U.S.A (Jan–Feb 2002).
- Primate Colony Management and Health Care" at Primate Research Center Poolesville, Washington USA (Feb-Mar 2002)
- NIH Post Doctoral Fellow and Visiting Scientist at the University of Washington & National Primate Research Center Seattle WA USA.(2003 – 2005)
- AAALAC International Ad hoc Specialists and Site visitor’s Orientation training program (June 2010) in Helsinki Finland
- International Council for Laboratory Animal Sciences (ICLAS) General Assembly meeting attended and presented about NCLAS activities in Asian Federation for Laboratory Animal Sciences (AFLAS) Bangkok Thailand Oct 2012
Previously involved and undertaken the following highlighted R&D Projects:
- Microbiological monitoring of laboratory animals for the production quality laboratory animals.
- Age related colonization of microorganisms in laboratory animals.
- Biological studies and antimicrobial activity of synthetic peptides in CCMB.
- Studies on Cytochrome P450 II E1. Effect of High fat diets fasting and diet restriction.
- Effect of upper respiratory infections in the Riboflavin metabolism in mice.
- Development of Microbiological identification kit for typing of the bacteria of DBT.
- Significance and Characterization of Trans thyretin (TTR2).
- Pre-clinical toxicological evaluation of alpha interferon.
- Pre-clinical toxicological evaluation of Anti Rabies r-DNA vaccine.
- Characterization of ATCC – CCL – 81 vero cell Master seed by in vivo tests for rabies vaccine development and testing.
- Preclinical testing and evaluation of Hepatitis B vaccine, Epidermal growth factor, JE vaccine.
- Beneficial effect of Copper supplementation on deposition of fluoride in bone in fluoride- and Molybdenum fed rabbits. Effect of Copper and Molybdenum on Fluoride toxicity.
- Effect of excess nitric oxide in the Pathophysiology of motor neuron degeneration in Neurolathyrism.
- Non-clinical toxicology study of recombinant-plasmid DNA anti-rabies vaccines in Monkeys.
- Chronic Kidney Diseases Research" to investigate the therapeutic potential of recombinant versions of the two biological molecules [NGAL-2 (Neutrophil Gelatinase Associated Lipocalin-2) and Kidney Injury Molecule-1 (KIM-1)].
- Effect of Supplementation of Dietary rich Cowpea Isoflavines as a natural source on Bone formation and its intercellular role in the diet induced rat model of Osteoporosis.
- Evaluation of promising plant extracts and active constituents for anti obese, anti diabetic and hepatoprotective properties in WNIN/GR-Ob rats.
- Studies on anti obesity properties of Garcinia species.
- Effect of Environment and Microorganisms in the Development of Obesity in WNIN Obese rats.
- Psychological Wellbeing and Environmental Enrichment of Non Human Primate.
- Functional Assessment of adult human pancreatic islets following autologous Transplantation.
- Studies on the molecular correlates of genomic stability in rat brain cells following Amalaki rasayana therapy.
Currently involved in the following On-going projects:
- Functional evaluation of autologous cell based therapy in cardiovascular diseases –molecular imaging (An innovative non-invasive technology).
- Development of Microbicide using human Mannose Receptor and CCR5 and CXCR4 Co-receptor HIV Entry Inhibitors experiments in Non human primates.
- Transplantation tolerance induction by lympho-hematopoetic chimerism using Hematopoetic Cell Transplantation (HCT).
- Genetic Dissection and Linkage Analysis Studies on Nude Rat Strain.
- Identification and functional characterization of miRNAs in genetic models of obesity and diabetes.
- Role of myofibroblast/stem cells in corneal wound healing responses Identifying and characterizing growth factor-receptor systems and herbal/stem cells treatments during development, homeostasis and corneal wound healing.
- Effect of bio-active compounds isolated from Piper nigrum on High fat diet induced obesity in SD rats – A MRI study.
- Development of a SD nude rat model for the study of transplantation of tumor therapy and carcinogensis.
- Biochemical and Immunological Characterization of SD NIN Nude Mutant Rat.
- Exploring the application of pluoripotent and adult stem cells in the treatment of retinal and corneal disorders.
- Experimental study on the potential therapeutic benefit of the allogeneic MSC transplantation in autoimmune type 1 NOD- mice.
- Effect of protein variation on physical, physiological and biochemical indices in Mangolian gerbils (Meriones unguiculatus) – A comparative study.
- Effect of Ficus racemosa bark ethanolic extraction on fertility restoration in WNIN obese female rats.
- Mongolian Gerbil as an alternative animal model for oncogenic study.
- Investigation of molecular mechanism involved in the reduced adipogenesis, steatosis and lipotoxicity by supplementation of piperine in genetically mutant WNIN obese rats.
Membership in the Scientific & Professional Societies:
- National Member of International Council for Laboratory Animal Science (ICLAS)
- Member, CPCSEA Central Committee, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, New Delhi
- Elected Vice President of NIN Scientists Association 2013-14
- Elected Vice President of AAVC R Nagar Hyderabad
- Fellow of the Academy of Sciences for Animal Welfare F.A.Sc (AW)
- Adhoc Specialist and Site visitor of Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC)
- Life Member and Executive Council Member of Association of British Council Scholars of India
- Founder Member of Laboratory Animal Science Association of India (LASAI)
- Director of Governing Board of Indira Gandhi Centre for Advanced Research on Live Stock [IGCARL], Government of Andhra Pradesh at Pulivendula Kadapa
- Registered Member of the Indian Veterinary Council (IVC) New Delhi.
- Life Member of the Laboratory Animal Scientists Association of India (LASA)
- Life member of Indian Dietetic Association (IDA)
- Member of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- Honorary Animal Welfare Officer Animal Welfare Board of India Ministry of Environment & Forests Government of India.
- Member of the All India Biotech Association (AIBA)
- Member of the Federation of Asia Biotech Association (FABA)
- Member of Research Advisory Council (RAC) of the Deccan College of Medical Research and Allied Hospitals Hyderabad
- Member of the Panel of External Examiners for PhD for the Faculty of Animal Sciences Central University Hyderabad
- Member of the International Bio-safety Committee Working Group for formulating guidelines for safety requirements for tissue transportation and handling of the microorganisms. (IBWG) (2003)
- Visiting Faculty of Dept of Food Science and Nutrition Periyar University Salem Tamilnadu
- Member of Panel of Experts & Resource Person for Research Guides NTR University Vijayawada 2013
- Member of Scientific Advisory Committee, RMRC ICMR Dibrugarh, Assam
- Member of Selection Committee for the award of BSR Fellowships Osmania University Hyderabad.
- Member of the Research Advisory Board of Owaisi Hospital & Research Centre, Deccan College of Medical Sciences Hyderabad
- Chairman of the Project Monitoring Committee of the DBT & ICMR for building State of the Art Animal Facility for Biotechnology at the Regional Medical Research Centre (ICMR) Dibrugarh, Assam
- External Expert in the Building Committee of the National Institute for Research in Tribal Health ICMR Jabalpur.
- Member of the Building Committee of CSIR - Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) Jammu, for building GLP state of the art building for animal experimentation.
- Member of the Advisory Committee for building the Animal house of the Institute of Advanced Studies in Science & Technology, Guwahati Assam.
- Co-Chairman of the Expert Screening Committee of NER Twinning R&D program for NER on “Animal and Aquaculture Biotechnology (AAB)”.
- Chairman of the Animal House Advisory Committee of HLL Biotech Limited Chennai
- Member of the Expert Committee of BIRAC – DBT for evaluation of the large animal facilities projects.
Member of the Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) of the following Institutions
- Chairman - IIT Hyderabad.
- Member - Lonza India Pvt Ltd Hyderabad
- Member - Prasad Hospitals Foundation Hyderabad
Member of the Institutional Committee for Stem Cell Research & Therapy (ICSRT) of the following Institutions
- Chairman - IIT Hyderabad
- Chairman - Prasad Hospitals Foundation Hyderabad
- Member - Deccan College of Medical Research and Allied Hospitals Hyderabad
- Member - Maternal Health & Research Trust (MHRT) Super-specialty fertility centre Hyderabad
- Member - Global Medical Education & Research Foundation Global Hospitals Hyderabad
Member of the Institutional for Animal Ethics Committee (IAEC) of the following Institutions
- Member Secretary & Veterinarian - National Institute of Nutrition Hyderabad
- Main Nominee - RCC Laboratories India Private Limited Genome Valley Shameerpet Hyderabad
- Main Nominee - Dr. Pinnamaneni Siddhartha Inst. of Med. Sciences & Res. Foundation, Vijayawada
- Main Nominee - Hyderabad Central University of Hyderabad
- External Expert - Edara Research Foundation Hyderabad
- Main Nominee of the Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Pharma Pvt Ltd. Teegalapalli, Mahboob Nagar
- Main Nominee of Biological E. Limited, Azamabad, Hyderabad
- Main Nominee of the Vallabhaneni Venkatadri Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Gudlavalleru AP
- Antiobesity potential of Piperonal: promising modulation of body composition, lipid profiles and obesogenic marker expression in HFD-induced obese rats. Meriga B, Parim B, Chunduri VR, Naik RR, Nemani H, Suresh P, Ganapathy S, Sathibabu Uddandrao VV. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2017 Dec 6;14:76.
- Ethanolic fraction of Terminalia tomentosa attenuates biochemical and physiological derangements in diet induced obese rat model by regulating key lipid metabolizing enzymes and adipokines. Balaji Meriga, Parim Brahma Naidu, Ganjayi Muniswamy, GEN Hanuma Kumar, Ramavat Ravindar Naik, Suresh Pothani. 2017/7, Pharmacognosy Magazine 13 (51), 385-392.
- Obesity-alleviating potential of asiatic acid and its effects on ACC1, UCP2, and CPT1 mRNA expression in high fat diet-induced obese Sprague–Dawley rats. P Rameshreddy, VV Sathibabu Uddandrao, Parim Brahmanaidu, S Vadivukkarasi, Ramavat Ravindarnaik, Pothani Suresh, K Swapna, A Kalaivani, Parimi Parvathi, P Tamilmani, Ganapathy Saravanan. 2017/10/9, Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 1-12. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-3199-2.
- WNIN Mutant Obese Rats Develop Acute Pancreatitis With the Enhanced Inflammatory Milieu. Himadri Singh, Rajanna Ajumeera, Venkata Malakapalli, Maniprabha Chalasani, Suresh Pothani, Vijayalakshmi Venkatesan. 2017/6/27, Cellular and Molecular Medicine Research, 20-31.
- Reversal of endothelial dysfunction in aorta of streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced type-2 diabetic rats by S-Allylcysteine. Parim Brahmanaidu, VV Sathibabu Uddandrao, Vadivukkarasi Sasikumar, Ramavat Ravindar Naik, Suresh Pothani, Mustapha Sabana Begum, M Prasanna Rajeshkumar, Chandrasekar Varatharaju, Balaji Meriga, P Rameshreddy, A Kalaivani, Ganapathy Saravanan. Molecular and cellular biochemistry,2017 Aug;432(1-2):25-32.
- Effects of S-allylcysteine on biomarkers of the polyol pathway in rats with type 2 diabetes. Parim Brahma Naidu, VV Sathibabu Uddandrao, Ramavat Ravindar Naik, Suresh Pothani, Praveen Kumar Munipally, Balaji Meriga, Mustapha Sabana Begum, Chandrasekar Varatharaju, Rajesh Pandiyan, Ganapathy Saravanan. 2016/10/31, Canadian journal of diabetes, 40(5), 442-448.
- Anti urolithiatic activity of a siddha herbomineral drug by zinc implantation method in experimental rats. K. Manickavasagam S. Sudha Revathy, P. Suresh, M. Murugesan. 2016/8, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4 (8), 233-244
- Induction of bladder calculi by zinc disc implantation method in experimental rats-a pilot study. S Sudha Revathy, P Suresh, M Murugesan, K Manickavasagam. 2016/7/1, International Journal Of Pharmaceutical Sciences And Research, 7(7), 3090-3094.
- Ameliorative potential of gingerol: Promising modulation of inflammatory factors and lipid marker enzymes expressions in HFD induced obesity in rats. Parim Brahma Naidu, VV Sathibabu Uddandrao, Ramavat Ravindar Naik, Pothani Suresh, Balaji Meriga, Mustapha Shabana Begum, Rajesh Pandiyan, Ganapathy Saravanan. 2016/1/5, Molecular and cellular endocrinology, 419, 139-147.
- Nonobese diabetic mice, hypoglycaemia and liver necrosis. V. Vijayalakshmi S. Indumathi, B. Padmanav, P. Uday Kumar, P. Suresh, R. Bhonde, C. Maniprabha. 2015/3, Comparative Clinical Pathology 24 (2), 457–464.
- Carcinosin 30 C protects islets against STZ induced beta cell dysfunctions. Ramakrishna Dandanayakula SPVV, Nagasuryaprasad Kotikalapudi, Venu Gopal Gouri, Suresh Pothani and Vijayalakshmi Venkatesan, 2015, Volume 5, Issue 01, 753-768. ISSN 2277– 7105.
- Modulatory Effects Of Andrographolide On Attenuating The Key Enzymes Activities Of Carbohydrate Metabolism And Glycogen Content In Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Rats. Nagaraju T. Ramavat Ravindar Naik, Abay Kumar Pandey, Suresh Pothani. 2015, European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2(2), 438-451.
- Sprague Dawley / NIN hairless mutant rat-A model to study carcinogenesis. M.Satyavani; P.Udayakumar, N.Harishankar; R.RavinderNaik, P. Suresh. 2015, J. Cancer Sci. Ther. 2015,7:8
- Obesity and mitochondrial dysfunction-evidences from WNIN mutant rats. Bharati Kulkarni and Vijayalakshmi Venketesan Nirupama Lal, K. Rajender Rao, Pothani Suresh, Md. Shahidul Islam, Nemani Harishankar, Nappan Veettil Giridharan. 2015, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 4 (3), 1074-1096.
- Evaluation Of Promising Plant Extracts And Active Constituents For Anti Obese, Anti Diabetic And Hepatoprotective Properties In Wnin/Gr-Ob Rats. H Nemani, RN Ramavat, S Pothana, S Pothani. 2014/11/1, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 106, S206.
- Determination Of Body Composition In Small Animals By Non Invasive Methods–A Comparative Study Between Methods. H Nemani, S Pothana, S Pothani. 2014/11/1, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 106, S206-S207.
- Long-term functions of encapsulated islets grafted in nonhuman primates without immunosuppression. Mitnala Sasikala, Guduru Venkat Rao, Venkateshan Vijayalakshmi, Rebala Pradeep, Suresh Pothani, Pondugala Pavan Kumar, Radhika Gaddipati, Ganneru Sirisha, Ramji Cheemalakonda, Manu Tandan, Chivukula Subramanyam, Seshadri Vasudevan, D Nageshwar Reddy. 2013/10/15, Transplantation 96(7), 624-632.
- Effect Of Andrographolide On Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Cataract In Sprague-dawley Rats. R N Ramavat, H Nemani, S Pothani, N Turlapati, B R Geereddy. 2013/9/1, Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, Vol-63, 1198.
- Anti-hyperglycemic And Anti-obesity Effect Of Ichnocarpus Frutescens, Linn. On Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Rats. S Manikonda, U K Putchha, S Pothana, S Pothani, M Murthy, S Kovela, H Nemani. 2013/9/1, Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol-63, 1187.
- Oxidaiton Damage, ageing and degenerative disease in WNIN obese rats. G. Nappanveettil H.Nemani, U. Putchha, S. Pothani. 2013, Ann Nutr Metab 63(suppl1):1–1960, 1165
- Influence of Andrographolide on Streptozotocin induced osmotic and oxidative stress in hepatic tissue of SD rats. N. Turlapati Ramavat R.N., H. Nemani., S. Pothani., P. Udayakumar. 2013, Pharmacognosy, 2(4), 215.
- Studies on the molecular correlates of genomic stability in rat brain cells following Amalakirasayana therapy. Umakanta Swain, Kiran Kumar Sindhu, Ushasri Boda, Suresh Pothani, Nappan V Giridharan, Manchala Raghunath, Kalluri Subba Rao. 2012/4/30, Mechanisms of ageing and development, 133(4), 112-117.
- Nonclinical toxicology study of recombinant-plasmid DNA anti-rabies vaccines. Sesikeran B. Kumar PU, Kumar BD, Annapurna VV, Krishna TP, Kalyanasundaram S, Suresh P, Harishankar N, Jagadeesan V, Hariharan S, Naidu AN, Krishnaswamy K, Rangarajan PN, Srinivasan VA, Reddy GS. 2006/4 Vaccine. 24 (15), 2790–2798.
- Beneficial effect of copper supplementation on deposition of fluoride in bone in fluoride- and molybdenum-fed rabbits. Khandare AL, Suresh P, Kumar PU, Lakshmaiah N, Manjula N, Rao GS. Calcif Tissue International 77 (4), 233-238.
- Flavin metabolism during respiratory infection in mice. P.Suresh. Sangeeta B., A.V.Laxmi., M.S. Bamji. 1996/9, British Journal of Nutrition 76 (3), 453-462.
- Antibacterial activity of eugenol in comparison with other antibiotics. Ingle V.K. Vijayalaxmi Suresh P. 1992, Journal of Food Science and Technology 29 (4), 254–257
- Effect of respiratory infection on tissue riboflavin and flavin enzymes in mice. Bamji M.S Prasad, Padmaja A., Lakshmi A.V., Suresh P. 1991, Ann Nutr Metab 35 (1), 19-2.
- Mad Cow Disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) . Suresh P.,1996 Nutrition Vol.30. No:4
- Age related colonisation of Microorganisms in laboratory rats. Suresh P, Suryaprakash D and Ingle V.K.Lab.Animals. Ind. 1994 Vol,3, No,1-2, No.11
- Cervical [Streptococcal] lymphadenitis in guinea pigs Laboratory Animals India . Suresh P., S.S.Y.H Qadri., and V. K. Ingle 1994 Vol. 1(3) April 35-37
Microbiological Identification typing kit, patent No.IPD/PA/96022/97 at NRDC, New Delhi
Book & Chapters
- “Infectious Diseases of Non Human Primates”, 2005 Chapter 2 in the book on “National Center for Primate Breeding and Research Vision Challenges and Opportunities” pp 195- 216; Editors Chander P. Puri & Nimal K Ganguly
- “Importance of Large Animal Resource Facilities for Biotech Biopharma and Biomedical Research in the country” 2007 in the “Proceedings of the Recent Advances and Challenges in Reproductive Health Research Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility pp 335-340; Editors Dr. RS Sharma, Mr. A Rajanna, Dr. M. Rajalakshmi.
Awards and recognition:
- NIH Post Doctoral Fellow to work as Visiting Scientist, University of Washington & National Primate Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA (2003 to 2004)
- TCTP Fellow for working in Medical Research Council Carshalton, Microbiology Laboratory, North Harrow and St.George's Medical Hospital, Tooting in UK 1990.
Teaching Experience and Lectures-34 years:
I am associated with the following two training programs of NCLAS, ICMR Centre since 1983 as a faculty member.
- Laboratory Animal Supervisor’s Training Course (LASTC) for graduates, post graduates, Veterinarians and Animal Facility Managers’ duration 3 months
- Laboratory Animal Technician's Training Course (LATTC) for under graduates’ duration 6 weeks.
- Ad-hoc short duration training courses on Laboratory Animal Sciences
These courses are recognized by International Council for Laboratory Animal Sciences (ICLAS) and WHO. So far Centre trained more than 2000 candidates from within the country and Asia and Africa countries.