Dr. Suresh Pothani
Date of Joining in ICMR:
15th June 1983
National Animal Resource Facility for Biomedical Research
|Office Phone:||040- 27197201|
Education & Academic
B.V.Sc & AH (1974-1979) from College of Veterinary Science, A.P Agricultural University, Hyderabad - 500030. India.
M.V.Sc. (Microbiology) (1980-1982) From College of Veterinary Science, AP Agricultural University, Tirupathi – 517502, India
NIH Post Doctoral Fellow & Visiting Scientist, University of Washington & National Primate Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA (2003 to 2005)
Subjects of Specialization:
Veterinary Microbiology, Laboratory Animal Sciences, Laboratory Animal Health monitoring, Planning, Designing and construction of Laboratory animal experimentation facilities.
Underwent specialized training in the following areas of Research:
- "Cell mediated immunity” at Indian Veterinary Research Institute, IzathNagar, and U.P. (June –July 1989)
- Honorary Animal Welfare Officer training from Animal Welfare Board of India. Min. of Environment and Forests. Govt. of India. (Oct.1994).
- "Software computer courses" from M/s. PCL Co Ltd. Hyderabad for computer programs (June 1991).
- Techniques in Molecular Biology PCR, Plasmid DNA isolation, Sequencing, Southern and Northern Hybridization, at the Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology Hyderabad (Nov – Jan 1996)
- Training & Workshop WLI– Central Zoo Authority AP Forest Department. Collaborative Consultation Workshop (Southern Region). Research priorities in Zoological Parks, (Oct 1996)
- Short course on "Recent Advances in Diagnostic Pathology" at Indian Veterinary Research Institute Izath Nagar U.P. (Sept 2001)
- Fundamentals of Laboratory Health and Safety and Laboratory Design” at Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad. (June 2006)
- Advanced Techno Management Training course in Administrative Staff College of India Hyderabad from (May - June 2009)
- AAALAC International Ad hoc Specialists and Site visitor’s Orientation training program Bangalore (June 2012)
- CPCSEA Nominees training at National Institute of Animal Welfare Ballabgarh Feb 2014
- Current Regulatory Requirements for Members of Institutional Ethics Committee Organized by Clinical Development Services Agency (CDSA) Dept. Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, GoI, held at Osmania Medical college Hyderabad Oct - 2014
- Managing Technology Value Chains for Directors and Division Heads in Administrative Staff College of India at Hyderabad Jan 2015
- Virology and Microbiological monitoring of laboratory animals at Medical Research Council, Carshalton, Microbiology Laboratory, North Harrow, Embryo transfer and Cryo freezing techniques at St. George's Medical Hospital, Tooting in UK (Apr-Sep 1990).
- Bio safety and Risk Management in Animal House” International training organized by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Atlanta, U.S.A (Jan–Feb 2002).
- Primate Colony Management and Health Care" at Primate Research Center Poolesville, Washington USA (Feb-Mar 2002)
- NIH Post Doctoral Fellow and Visiting Scientist at the University of Washington & National Primate Research Center Seattle WA USA.(2003 – 2005)
- AAALAC International Ad hoc Specialists and Site visitor’s Orientation training program (June 2010) in Helsinki Finland
- International Council for Laboratory Animal Sciences (ICLAS) General Assembly meeting attended and presented about NCLAS activities in Asian Federation for Laboratory Animal Sciences (AFLAS) Bangkok Thailand Oct 2012
Previously involved and undertaken the following highlighted R&D Projects:
- Age related colonization of microorganisms in laboratory animals
- Microbiological monitoring of laboratory animals for the production quality laboratory animals.
- Biological studies and antimicrobial activity of synthetic peptides in CCMB
- Studies on Cytochrome P450 II E1. Effect of High fat diets fasting and diet restriction
- Effect of upper respiratory infections in the Riboflavin metabolism in mice.
- Development of Microbiological identification kit for typing of the bacteria of DBT
- Significance and Characterization of Trans thyretin (TTR2)
- Pre-clinical toxicological evaluation of alpha interferon
- Pre-clinical toxicological evaluation of Anti Rabies r-DNA vaccine
- Characterization of ATCC – CCL – 81 vero cell Master seed by in vivo tests for rabies vaccine development and testing.
- Preclinical testing and evaluation of Hepatitis B vaccine, Epidermal growth factor, JE vaccine
- Beneficial effect of Copper supplementation on deposition of fluoride in bone in fluoride- and Molybdenum fed rabbits. Effect of Copper and Molybdenum on Fluoride toxicity
- Effect of excess nitric oxide in the Pathophysiology of motor neuron degeneration in Neurolathyrism
- Non-clinical toxicology study of recombinant-plasmid DNA anti-rabies vaccines in Monkeys
- Chronic Kidney Diseases Research" to investigate the therapeutic potential of recombinant versions of the two biological molecules [NGAL-2 (Neutrophil Gelatinase Associated Lipocalin-2) and Kidney Injury Molecule-1 (KIM-1)]
- Effect of Supplementation of Dietary rich Cowpea Isoflavines as a natural source on Bone formation and its intercellular role in the diet induced rat model of Osteoporosis
- Evaluation of promising plant extracts and active constituents for anti obese, anti diabetic and hepatoprotective properties in WNIN/GR-Ob rats
- Studies on anti obesity properties of Garcinia species
- Effect of Environment and Microorganisms in the Development of Obesity in WNIN Obese rats.
- Psychological Wellbeing and Environmental Enrichment of Non Human Primates
- Functional Assessment of adult human pancreatic islets following autologous Transplantation.
Currently involved in the following On-going projects:
- Microbiological monitoring of lab animals for the production of quality laboratory animals. Functional evaluation of autologous cell based therapy in cardiovascular diseases –molecular imaging (An innovative non-invasive technology).
- Development of Microbicide using human Mannose Receptor and CCR5 and CXCR4 Co-receptor HIV Entry Inhibitors experiments in Non human primates
- Transplantation tolerance induction by lympho-hematopoetic chimerism using Hematopoetic Cell Transplantation (HCT)
- Genetic Dissection and Linkage Analysis Studies on Nude Rat Strain
- Identification and functional characterization of miRNAs in genetic models of obesity and diabetes Role of myofibroblast/stem cells in corneal wound healing responses Identifying and characterizing growth factor-receptor systems and herbal/stem cells treatments during development, homeostasis and corneal wound healing
- Effect of bioactive compounds isolated from Piper nigrum on High fat diet induced obesity in SD rats – A MRI study
- Development of a SD nude rat model for the study of transplantation of tumor therapy and carcinogensis
- Biochemical and Immunological Characterization of SD NIN Nude Mutant Rat
- Exploring the application of pluoripotent and adult stem cells in the treatment of retinal and corneal disorders
Membership in the Scientific & Professional Societies:
- Member of Advisory Board in Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Maharashtra
- National Member of International Council for Laboratory Animal Science (ICLAS)
- Fellow of the Academy of Sciences for Animal Welfare F.A.Sc (AW)
- Ad hoc Specialist and Site visitor of Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC)
- Life Member and Executive Council Member of Association of British Council Scholars of India
- Founder Member of Laboratory Animal Science Association of India (LASAI)
- Director of Governing Board of Indira Gandhi Centre for Advanced Research on Live Stock [IGCARL], Government of Andhra Pradesh at Pulivendula Cudappa
- Registered Member of the Indian Veterinary Council (IVC), New Delhi.
- Life Member of the Laboratory Animal Scientists Association of India (LASA)
- Life member of Indian Dietetic Association (IDA)
- Member of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- Honorary Animal Welfare Officer Animal Welfare Board of India Ministry of Environment & Forests Government of India.
- Member of the All India Biotech Association (AIBA)
- Member of the Federation of Asia Biotech Association (FABA)
- Member of Research Advisory Council (RAC) of the Deccan College of Medical Research and Allied Hospitals, Hyderabad
- Member of the Institutional Ethical Committee for Stem Cell Research and Therapy of Deccan College of Medical Research and Allied Hospitals, Hyderabad
- Member of the Institutional Ethical Committee for Stem Cell Research and Therapy of Maternal Health & Research Trust (MHRT) super-specialty fertility center, Hyderabad
- Member of the Panel of External Examiners for PhD for the Faculty of Animal Sciences Central University, Hyderabad
- Member of the International Bio-safety Committee Working Group for formulating guidelines for safety requirements for tissue transportation and handling of the microorganisms. (IBWG) - 2003
- Visiting Faculty of Dept of Food Science and Nutrition Periyar University, Salem, Tamilnadu
- Member of Panel of Experts & Resource Person for Research Guides NTR University, Vijayawada 2013
- Member of Scientific Advisory Committee, RMRC ICMR Dibrugarh, Assam for construction of the state of the art animal facility.
- Member of Selection Committee for the award of BSR Fellowships Osmania University.
- Chairman of Institutional Ethics Committee IIT Hyderabad.
- Member of the Research Advisory Board of Owaisi Hospital & Research Centre, Deccan College of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad
- Chairman of the Project Monitoring Committee of the DBT & ICMR State of the Art Animal Facility for Biotechnology at the Regional Medical Research Centre (ICMR) Dibrugarh, Assam
- External Expert in the Building Committee of the National Institute for Research in Tribal Health ICMR, Jabalpur.
- Member of the Building Committee of CSIR - Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) Jammu, for building GLP state of the art building for animal experimentation.
- Member of the Advisory Committee for building the Animal house of the Institute of Advanced Studies in Science & Technology, Guwahati Assam.
- Member & Co-Chairman of the Expert Screening Committee of NER Twinning R&D program for NER on “Animal and Aquaculture Biotechnology (AAB)”.
- Member of the Animal House Advisory Committee of HLL Biotech Limited Chennai
- Member of the Institutional Ethical Committee for Stem Cell Research and Therapy of Maternal Health & Research Trust (MHRT) super-specialty fertility center Hyderabad
- Chairman of the Institutional Ethical Committee for Stem Cell Research and Therapy of IIT, Hyderabad.
Member of the Institutional Animal Ethics Committee of the following Institutions
- National Institute of Nutrition Hyderabad
- RCC Laboratories India Private Limited Genome Valley Shameerpet Hyderabad
- MNR Educational Trust Sanga Reddy, Medak.
- Dr. Pinnamaneni Siddhartha Inst. of Med. Sciences & Res. Foundation, Vijayawada
- Sri Datta College of Pharmacy Ibrahimpatnam, Ranga Reddy
- G. Pulla Reddy Institute of Pharmacy Annaram, Sanga Reddy Medak
- Nalla Narsimha Reddy School of Pharmacy Hyderabad
- Hyderabad Central University of Hyderabad
- Edara Resrach Foundation Hyderabad
- Incozen Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd Genome Valley, Shameerpet Hyderabad
- Geethanjali College of Phramacy Cheeryal, Keesara, Ranga Reddy
- Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada
- Clintox Bioservices Hyderabad Genome Valley Shameerpet Hyderabad
Microbiological Identification typing kit, patent No.IPD/PA/96022/97 at NRDC, New Delhi
Book & Chapters
- “Infectious Diseases of Non Human Primates”, 2005 Chapter 2 in the book on “National Center for Primate Breeding and Research Vision Challenges and Opportunities” pp 195- 216; Editors Chander P. Puri & Nimal K Ganguly
- “Importance of Large Animal Resource Facilities for Biotech Biopharma and Biomedical Research in the country” 2007 in the “Proceedings of the Recent Advances and Challenges in Reproductive Health Research Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility pp 335-340; Editors Dr. RS Sharma, Mr. A Rajanna, Dr. M. Rajalakshmi.
Teaching Experience and Lectures-31 years:
- Faculty member of the two regular training programs of NCLAS ICMR conducted every year.
- Laboratory Animal Supervisor’s Training Course (LASTC) for graduates, post graduates, Veterinarians and Animal Facility Managers’ duration 3 months
- Laboratory Animal Technician's Training Course (LATTC) for under graduates’ duration 6 weeks
- Ad hoc short duration training courses on Laboratory Animal Sciences.
The above two training programs are recognized by International Council for Laboratory Animal Sciences (ICLAS) and WHO. So far Centre trained several sponsored candidates from Asian and Africa countries and more than 700 candidates from within India since 1967. I have been associated with this training program since 1983 as a faculty member.