Joined ICMR in 1980 and spent initial years in the Food & Drug Toxicology Division of the Institute, wherein he worked on chemical, nutritional and toxicological evaluation of unconventional oils.
He went on to do his MSc from the Central University of Pondicherry he moved to National Centre for Laboratory Animal Sciences (NCLAS) to pursue Ph.D in Zoology, which was awarded to him in 2002.
His doctoral work was on the establishment and characterization of the obese mutant rats established at the centre. He is currently associated with the National Centre for Laboratory Animal Sciences (NCLAS) and is involved in all the centers activities like breeding and supply of animals as well as in training of personnel in handling lab animals both regular and adhoc. He was instrumental in establishing the animal physiology laboratory in the centre. His areas of interest include animal physiology, animal behaviour, and also pre-clinical to toxicology.
List of Publications:
- Karnam Shruthi, S.S Reddy, P. Y Reddy, P. Sivalingam, N. Harishankar and G.Bhanuprakash Reddy. Amelioration of neuronal cell death in a spontaneous obese rat model by dietary restriction through modulation of ubiquitin proteasome system. J.Nutr.Biochem. 2016 ;JNB-15-574R1.
- Shivaram Nemani, Uday K Putcha, Madhusudhanachary Perikety, Sailaja Potha, Giridharan Nappanveettil and Harishankar Nemani. Botulinum Neurotoxin effects on Masseter Muscle fibre in WNIN obese rats – Scanning Electron Microscope Analysis. 2015. Scanning. DOI: 10.1002/sca.21283.
- Hemalatha, R, Annapurna,V.V, Ramaraju A.V.S, Narendra Babu K, Thirupathaiah ,Y, Shujauddin Md. Harishankar. N, Balakrishna, N. Selective ceacal bacterial changes mediate the adverse effects associated with high palmolein or high starch diets: Prophylactic role of Flax oil. IJPPR. November 2015: Vol 7 Issue 11, pp. 89-95.
- Dinesh Thummuri, Manish K Jeengar, Shweta Shrivastava, Harishankar Nemani, Ravindar N Ramavat, Pradip chaudhari, V.G.M.Naidu. Thymoquinone Inhibits RANKL Induced Osteoclastogenesis by Suppressing NF-KB and MAPK Signalling: A Study in Macrophage Cells and Mouse Model of Bone Loss. Pharmacol Res. 2015.99:63-73.
- Sd Muzammil Afzal, VGM Naidu, N. Harishankar and V. Kishan. Albumin Anchored Docetaxel Lipid Nanoemulsion For Improved Targeting Efficiency-Preparation, Characterization, Cytotoxic, Antitumor And In vivo Imaging Studies. Drug deliv 2015. 19: 1-9.
- Parim BrahmaNaidu, Nemani Harishankar, Balaji Meriga, Sailaja Pothana, Sajjalaguddam Ramgopalrao. Effects of Piper nigrum extract: Restorative perspectives of high fat diet induced changes on lipid profile, body composition and hormones in Sprague Dawley rats. Pharm Biol. 2015. 53 (9), 1318-13238.
- Prashanth Anamthathmakula Shanmugam M Jeyakumar Singotamu Lodhu, Harishankar Nemani, Giridharan Nappan Veetil and Ayyalsomayajula Vajreswari. Mitochondriogenesis and apoptosis: possible cause of vitamin A-mediated adipose loss in WNIN/Ob-obese rats. Nutrition & Metabolism, Sep.2014. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-11-45.
- Yucang Li,Cule Wen, Dolly Mushahary, Ragamouni Sravanthi, Nemani Harishankar, Gopal pande, Peter Hodgson. Collagen type-I leads to in vivo matrix mineralization and secondry stabilization of Mg-Zr-Ca alloy implants. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2014 Oct 1;122:719-28. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2014.08.005. Epub 2014 Aug 19.
- Parim BrahmaNaidu, Harishankar Nemani, Balaji Meriga, Santosh kumar Mehar, Sailaja Pothana, Sajjalaguddam Ramgopalrao. Mitigating efficacy of piperine in the physiological derangments in high fat diet induced obesity in sprague dawley rats. Chemico Biological Interaction, 2014. Jul 31;221C:42-51. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2014.07.008. (Epub ahead of print).
- D Mushahary, C Wen, JM Kumar, N Harishankar, G Pande, P Hodgson, Y Li. “Effect of Collagen type-I on the rate of osseointegration of Ca-containing biodegradable Mg-Zr based alloys” European Cells and Materials Vol. 26. Suppl. 6, 2013 (page 22) ISSN 1473-2262 http://www.ecmjournal.org.
- Amit K. Jaiswal, Rohit V. Dhumal, Sandipto Ghosh, Pradip Chaudhari, Harishankar Nemani, Vivek P. Soni, Geeta R. Vanage and Jayesh R. Bellare. Bone healing evaluation of nanofibrous composite scaffolds in rat calvarial defects: A comparative study. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology.2013. 9(12): 2073-2085 (13).
- Dolly Mushahary, Ragamouni Sravanthi, Jerald Mahesh, Nemani Harishankar, Gopal Pande. Zr, Ca and Sr Contents in Mg Based Biodegradable Alloys Modulate the Efficiency of Implant Induced Osseointegration. Int.J.Nanomedicine.2013. 8: 2887–2902.
- Sravanthi Ragamouni, Jerald Mahesh Kumar, Dolly Mushahary, Harishankar Nemani and Gopal Pande. Histological analysis of cells and matrix mineralizationof new bone tissue induced in rabbit femur bones by Mg-Zr based biodegradable implants. Acta Histochemica, 2013; Sep;115 (7):748-56.
- Anand Kumar Kalle, Lalitha Anumula, Pavithra D, Padmavathi I.J.N, Manisha Ganeshan Rajender Rao K, Venu Lagishetty, Balakrishna Nagalla, Harishanker Nemani, Umakar Reddy S, Giriraj Ratan Chandak, Shantanu Sengupta and Raghunath, M. Maternal dietary folate and / or vitamin b12 restrictions alter body composition (adiposity) and lipid metabolism in wistar rat offspring. J.Nutr.Biochem 2013; 24: 25-31.
- Nemani Harishankar and Nappanveettil Giridharan. Restoration of libido in WNIN/GR-Ob rats by administration of high dose of Testosterone propionate. Adv.Stud.Biol. 2012. 12:557-571.
- Siva Sanakara Vara Prasad Sakamuri, Mahesh Sukapaka, Vijay Kumar Prathipati, Harishankar Nemani, Uday Kumar Putcha, Shailaja Pothana, Swarupa Rani Koppala, Lakshmi Raj Kumar Ponday, Vani Acharya, Giridharan Nappanveettil, Vajreswari ayyalasomayajula. Carbenoxolone treatment ameliorated metabolic syndrome in WNIN/Ob obese rats, but induced severefat loss and glucose intolerance in lean rats. PLOS ONE; Dec. 2012; Vol 7; Issue 12; e50216.
- Yucang Li,Cule Wen, Dolly Mushahary, Ragamouni Sravanthi, Nemani Harishankar, Gopal pande, Peter Hodgson. Mg-Zr-Sr alloys as biodegradable implant materials. Acta Biomaterialia 8 2012. 3177–3188.
- Satishkumar,M. Y. Ali, P. Sailaja, S. Mahesh, M.V.Surekha, N.V.Giridharan and N.Harishankar. Therapeutic properties of Mucuna pruriens Linn – an Unani drug, in a prediabetic obese rat model. Int.J.Body comp res. 2012.10; 1:1-8.
- Nemani Harishankar, Eunni Seshadri, Subramanyam Kalyanasundaram and Nappanveettil Giridharan. Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) to frank diabetes, by dietary manipulations in 4.552WNIN/GR-Ob rats. J. Diab. Mell. 2012. Vol.2. No.1. 52-58.
- Nemani Harishankar, Punjal Ravinder, K.Madhavan Nair and Nappanveettil Giridharan. Infertility in WNIN obese mutant rats – causes ?. ISRN Endocrinology, 2011c. Article ID 863403, 7 pages. doi:10.5402/2011/863403.
- N. Harishankar. A. Vajreswari,. N. V. Giridharan. WNIN/GR-Ob – An insulin-resistant obese rat model from inbred WNIN strain. Indian J Med Res. 2011; 134:320-329.
- Nemani Harishankar, Putcha Uday Kumar, Boindala Sesikeran and Nappanveettil Giridharan. Obesity associated pathophysiological & histological changes in WNIN obese mutant rats. Indian J Med Res. 2011; 134:330-340.
- Manisha Ganeshan, Sainath, P.B, Padmavathi, I.J.N, Venu Lagishetty, Kishore,Y.D, Kalle anand, Harishankar Nemani, Srinivasa Rao, J and Raghunath Manchala. Maternal manganese restriction increases susceptibility to high fat diet induced dyslipidemia and altered adipose function in WNIN male rat offspring. Exp.Diab.Res 2011.
- I.J.N.Padmavathi, K.Rajender Rao, L.Venu,Ch.Narasimha Rao, N. Harishankar, Ayesha Ismail and Manchala Raghunath.“Chroinic Dietary restriction modulates visceral adiposity probable underlying mechanism” Diabetes. 2010. 59:98-104.
- Padmavathi J.N Inagadapa, DurgaKishore Yedla, Venu Lagishetty, Manisha Ganeshan, Harishankar Nemani, Giridharan NV, and Raghunath Manchala. “Prenatal and Perinatal Zinc Restriction: Effects on body composition, glucose tolerance and insulin response in rat offspring” Exp.Physiol, 94:6, 761-769. 2009.
- Arjun.L.Khandare, P.Udayakumar, N.Harishankar, S.Kalyanasundaram. “Effect of Fluoride intake (with and without Molybdenum and Copper) on Body composition; Organ weights and Histopathology – a study in rabbits”. Fluoride 40(3), 184-189. Jul-Sept 2007.
- P.Udaykumar, B.Dinesh Kumar, V.V.Annapurna, T.Prasanna Krishna, S.Kalyanasundaram, P.Suresh, N.Harishankar, V.Jagadeesan, S.Hariharan, A.Nadamuni Naidu, Kamala Krishnaswamy, P.N.Rangarajan,V.A.Srinivasan, G.S.Reddy, B.Sesikeran. “Nonclinical toxicology study of recombinant-plasmid DNA anti-rabies vaccines. Vaccine. 24: 2790-2798, 2006.
- N.V.Giriddharan, N.Harishankar and M.Satyavani, “Studies on Obese Rat model developed at NIN” Endocrinology, Metabolism & Diabetes. 45-48, 2005.
- L.Venu, N.Harishankar, T.Prasanna Krishna and M.Raghunath. “Maternal dietary vitamin restriction increases body fat content but not insulin resistance in the rat offspring up to six months of age.” Diabetologia, 47: 1493-1501, 2004.
- L.Venu, N.Harishankar, T.Prasanna Krishna and M.Raghunath. “Does maternal dietary mineral restriction per se predisposes the offspring to insulin resistance in later life? Eur. J, Endocrinol. Vol.151. (1) 2004.
- N.V.Giridharan, M.Satyavani and N.Harishankar. “WNIN/Ob. A new rat model for the study of obesity.” Scan J Lab Animal Sci. 23 (3), 131-137, 1996.
- N. Chinnasamy, N.Harishankar, P.Udaykumar and C.Rukmini “Toxicological studies on debitterized neem oil (Azadirachta Indica).” Food. Chem. Toxic. Vol. 31. No.4. 297-301, 1993.
- N.V.Giridharan, C.N. Lakshmi, M.Satyavani and N.Harishankar. “Wistar/NIN-Igt, Wistar/NIN-Ob and Wistar/NIN-Ob-Igt. Three mutant animal models for diabetes and obesity from Wistar inbred colony. Rat Newsletter (29), 14-15, 1993.
- R. Manorama, N.Harishankar, K.Polasa and C.Rukmini. “Mutagenicity studies on repeatedly heated crude and refined palm oil.” JOTAI. Apr-Jun. 29-31, 1989.
- H. Nemani, U. Putchha, S. Pothan1, G. Nappanveettil. OXIDATIVE DAMAGE, AGEING AND DEGENERTIVE DISEASES IN WNIN OBESE RATS. Ann Nutr Metab. 2013;63(suppl 1):1–1960 1165 (Abstract).
- S. Manikonda, U K. Putchha, S. Pothana, S. Pothani,M. Murthy, S. Kovela, H. Nemani. ANTI-HYPERGLYCEMIC AND ANTI-OBESITY EFFECT OF ICHNOCARPUS FRUTESCENS, LINN.ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC RATS. Ann Nutr Metab 2013;63(suppl 1):1–1960. 1187 (Abstract).
- R N. Ramavat, H. Nemani, S. Pothani, N. Turlapati, B, R. Geereddy EFFECT OF ANDROGRAPHOLIDE ON STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETIC CATARACT INSPRAGUE-DAWLEY RATS. Ann Nutr Metab 2013;63(suppl 1):1–1960, 1198 (Abstract).
- S.S.S.V.Prasad, N.Harishankar, S.Mahesh, P.Sailaja, N.V.Giridharan, A.Vajreswari et al., Presented a poster entitled “11Beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase Type I inhibition amelirats metabolic syndrome in WNIN/Ob obese rats but induced glucose intolerance in leant rats” Steroid Research. P.1.33; 2011
- S.S.S.V.Prasad, N.Harishankar, N.V.Giridharan, A.Vajreswari. “11Beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase Type I activity in liver and adipose tissue of WNIN/GR-Ob obese rats, A new genetic obese rat model with impaired glucose tolerance” Steroid Research. P.2.34 2011.
- Satish Kumar, A.Saleem, Mir Yousuf Ali, P.Sailaja, S.Mahesh, N.Harishankar, B.Dinesh Kumar and N.V.Giridharan. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effect of M.pruriens on WNIN/GR-Ob rats. Ind.J.Pharmacol. 42 (Suppl.2). Abstracts. (PP 35), S233, 2010.
- Giridharan NV, Sailaja P and Harishankar N. A new obese rat model to study obesity and cardiovascular risks. CMJ@journal, 2010. (Abstract) 96 p.
- Harishankar N; Balakrishna N; Radhakrishna KV; Udaykumar P: Giridharan NV : Determination of body composition in Syrian hamsters by non-invasive methods. Ann Nutr Metab. 55 (Suppl 1). Abstracts. (P97- 02), p.470, 2009.
List of Article:
A popular article entitled “Determination of small animal body composition by TOBEC–A non-invasive method” contributed for NLCAS newsletter. Vol.33. October. 2006.
Training programmes attended:
- Participated in one week CPCSEA nominee training programme from 7 th to 11 th July, 2014, at National Institute of Animal Welfare, Ballabhgarh.
- Participated in the Perkin Elmer In Vivo Imaging Advanced Training Course, IVIS Instrument Spectrum 201 model, from 26 th to 28 th February 2013, Alameda, California, USA.
- Participated advanced training on 7T Magnetic Resonance Imaging system, from 11 th to 14 th March, 2013 at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, USA.
- Participated in training workshop on “Module III of the curriculum preclinical imaging in small laboratory animals” on January 23-27, 2012 at the Department of Preclinical imaging and radiopharmacy, Eberhard-Karls- Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany.
- Participated in training workshop on “Role of risk analysis in the Development and Implementation of food Safety Programmes and Standards” held on June 20-22, 2011 at NIN, Hyderabad. India.
- Participated in training workshop on “Application and importance of Laboratory Animals in Biomedical Research” held on 22 nd to 25 th April 2009, NIRRH, Mumbai.
- Participated in “WHO – TDR workshop on Train the GLP-Trainer” Organized by UNDP/World Bank/WHO, Special programme for research and training in tropical diseases (TDR), held on 13 th to 18 th October, 2008, Lucknow, India.
- Participated in “Training course on Radiological Safety Aspects in the Research application of Ionizing Radiation” held from 9 th to 17 th June 2008, at Radiological Physics and Advisory Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumabi.
Awards & Honors:
- Received Prof. Manjeeth Singh award for our work entitled “Carnosic acid Inhibits Osteoclastogenesis by Up Regulating the Nrf2 and Suppressing the NF-KB, MAPK Signaling” in Annual Conference of Indian Pharmacological Society, held at Guwahati from 28 th to 29 th December 2014.
- Received Prof. P.P.Suryakumari gold medal award for the best paper published on diabetes in 46 th Annual Conference of Indian Pharmacological Society, held at Bangalore from 16 th to 18 th , December 2013.
- Received UK LTD bursary award to attend 7 th Small Animal Imaging workshop held between 23 rd to 27 th of January 2012 at Tubingen University, Tubingen, Germany.
- Received Techniplast, Best poster award (sponsored trip to FELASA2010, at Helsinki, Finland) for our work entitled “WNIN/Ob, a Novel rat model to study oseoarthritis and osteoporosis” in the LASA conference held from 1 st - 3 rd October 2009, NIRRH, at Mumbai.
- Received Dr.K.R.Bhardwaj, Best poster award for our work entitled “WNIN/Ob, a Novel rat model to study oseoarthritis and osteoporosis” in the LASA conference held between 1 st -3 rd October 2009, NIRRH, at Mumbai.
- Received ICN 2009 (International Congress of Nutrition) travel award for the paper entitled “Determination body composition in Syrian hamsters by non-invasive methods” presented during 19 th International Congress of Nutrition, held between 4 th –10 th October 2009, BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Received CSIR best poster award In Experimental nutrition for the paper “Determination of body composition and activity in three commonly used rat strains” presented during the XXXVI Annual meetings of the Nutrition Society of India held between 5-6 th , Nov.2004 at CFTRI, MYSORE.
- Received young scientist award (Senior session) in Experimental nutrition for the paper presented during the XXXI Annual meetings of the Nutrition Society of India held on 26-28,Nov.1998 at National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad.