Graduated in 1985 and completed post-graduation in Veterinary Pathology in 1987 from the College of Veterinary Sciences, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad. Was awarded Gold Medal for securing highest marks in Veterinary Pathology.
He was joined the National Center for Laboratory Animal Sciences, National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research in 1988 as Assistant Research Officer and served the center for 10 years in the capacity of a lab animal veterinarian and veterinary pathologist handling health monitoring of the animals.
In 1999 moved to the Pathology Division of the National Institute of Nutrition (ICMR) and was handling Lab Animal Pathology, Experimental Pathology and Toxicopathology. Was invited to work under the direct supervisión of the Union Minister, Government of India as Expert Consultant on deputation to the Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA), headed by the Union Minister. Was awarded the Young Scientist Award for the work on Sendai virus by the Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologist in 1995. Was awarded Vishwa Sadhbhawna Puraskar 1999 for work in animal welfare and environment protection. Underwent the Certificate course on Laboratory Animal Science at University of Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands in 2002. Worked for 3 years as advisor and Expert Consultant to the CPCSEA headed by the Union Minister, Government of India implementing animal welfare laws in India. Founded the Laboratory Animal Scientist’s Association of India in 2004.
He is also the Founding Father of the Indian college of Veterinary Pathologists, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar. Passed the Board Certification Examination of the Indian College of Veterinary Pathologists and was conferred the Diplomate of ICVP in 2008. He served as Member of the Committee for International Guidelines on “Threat of Extremism to Medical Research” of the Federation Of American Societies For Experimental Biology (FASEB), June 11-12, 2012, Bethesda, Maryland, USA and is also the member of the Strategic Planning Committee of the American Associations for Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC), USA. Has 26 published papers in scientific journals. He is the architect of the FELASA ‘C’ accredited course in Laboratory Animal Science being offered at the Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai.
He was a visiting scientist to the National Jewish Hospitals, Denver and to the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma, USA. Has served as Assistant Director (Veterinary Pathologist) in the Pathology Division, National Institute of Nutrition (ICMR), Hyderabad for 15 years and is presently working as Scientist ‘E’ Deputy Director, at the National Centre for Laboratory Animal Sciences, NIN (ICMR), Hyderabad.
- Registered member of the Veterinary Council of India.
- Registered member of the A.P. Veterinary Council.
- Indian Veterinary Association.
- Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologists.
- Registered Life member of Society for Toxicologic Pathologists in India.
- Founder and Gen. Secretary – All India ‘Laboratory Animal Scientist’s Association’.
- B. Kalakumar, A. gopal Reddy, A. Vamsi Krishna, S.S.Y.H. Qadri and P. Siva Kumar. Developmental neurotoxicity of monocrotophos and lead is linked to thyroid disruption. Veterinary World, EISSN: 2231-0916.
- Prakash Tiwari, Satya Sahay, Manuraj Pandey, Syed S.Y.H. Qadri and Krishna P. Gupta. Combinatorial chemopreventive effect of butyric acid, nicotinamide and calcium glucarate against the 7,12-dimethylbenz(a) anthracene induced mouse skin tumorigenesis attained by enhancing the induction of intrinsic apoptotic events. Chemico-Biological Interactions 2015, Vol 26, pp 1-11.
- Bhaskarachary, K., Ramulu, P., Udayasekhararao, P., Bapurao, S., Kamala Krishnaswamy., Qadri, S.S.Y.H., Udaykumar, P. and Sesikeran, B.Chemical composition, nutritional and toxicological evaluation of peanut (Arachis hypogea) grown in fly ash amended soils. Indian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics,Vol. 51, 2014, 11-23.
- Vitamin D deficiency decreases adiposity in rats and causes altered expression of uncoupling proteins and steroid receptor coactivator3. Mehrajuddin Bhat, Bindu Noolu, Qadri SSYH and Ayesha Ismail, Journal of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 144(2014) 304-312.
- "Exploring Antiurolithic Effects of Gokshuradi Polyherbal Ayurvedic Formulation in Ethylene Glycol Induced Urolithic Rats." Amol L Shirfule, Venkatesh Racharla, SSYH Qadri and Arjun L Khandare*. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Volume 2013, Article ID 763720, 9 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/763720 [Hindwi Publications, Impact factor- 4.778]
- Use of Propofol and Xylazine combination for use in Small Animal Densitometry – B. Kala Kumar, S.S.Y.H. Qadri, B. Vikram Kumar and A. Gopala Reddy:, Indian Veterinary Journal, June 2013, 90 (6): 106-107.
- Vitamin D deficiency induced muscle wasting occurs through the ubiquitin proteasome pathway and is partially corrected by calcium in male rats”, Ayesha Ismail, Mehraj, Kalamkoti, Qadri SSYH, Seshacharyulu, M. Endocrinology, 2013.154(11): 4018-4029.
- Thingnganing Longvah, Korra Manghtya and Syed SYH Qadri. Eri silkworm: a source of edible oil with a high content of α-linolenic acid and of significant nutritional value. Journal of Food Science Agriculture (2012), 92: (9): 1988-93.
- Bhaskarachary Kandlakunta, Ramulu Punna, Udayasekhararao Paruchuri, Bapurao Sangras, Kamala Krishnaswamy, Syed Qadri, Uday Kumar Putcha and Sesikeran Boindala. Chemical composition, nutritional and toxicological evaluation of (oryza sativa) grown in Fly Ash amended soils. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture (2012), 92: Issue 13, 2721-2726.
- JJ Babu, Qadri SSYH, Sesikeran B. Maternal Nutrition in Early Pregnancy Effects Placental Development. International Journal of Medicine and Public Health, 2011, Vol.1, Issue 2.
- Sakamuri SS Vara Prasad, Sahnmugam S Jeya Kumar, Putcha Uday Kumar, Syed SYH Qadri, Ayyalasomayajula Vajreswari. Dietary fatty acid composition alters 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 gene expression in rat retroperitoneal white adipose tissue. Lipids in health and disease 2010, 9:111.
- Longvah T, Qadri SSYH, Manghtya K, Ramulu P. Compositional, Nutritional, and Toxicological Evaluation of Eri-silk worm (Samia ricinii) prepupae and pupae. Journal of Agricultural Food Chem. Publication No. 10-1-LON-JAFC-27-6, 2010
- Bhaskarachary Kandlakunta, Ramulu Punna, Udayasekhararao Paruchuri, Bapurao Sangras, Kamala Krishnaswamy, Syed Qadri, Uday Kumar Putcha and Sesikeran Boindala. Nutritional and toxicological evaluation of wheat grown on soils with or without fly ash treatment. Journal of Food Science and Agriculture 2009; 89: 384-389.
- R. Hemalatha, B.A. Ramalakshmi, S.S.Y.H. Qadri, N. Balakrishna, V.V. Annapurna and B. Sesikeran. Intrauterine Growth Restriction in Term Women with Histologic Chorioamnionitis. Research Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 1 (1): 18-24, 2008.
- S. Chennaiah, S.S.Y.H. Qadri, C.V.K. Reddy, S.V. Rama Rao, G. Shymasunder, N. Raghuramulu (2007). Incorporation of Cestrum diurnum leaf improves intestinal Ca transport in broilers. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Elsevier, Belgium) 103, pp. 645-650. (I.F. 2.715).
- Sesikeran B and Syed S.Y.H. Qadri. Establishing quality systems in nutrition research and nutrition programs – a critical component in capacity building. Proceedings International Symposium on Building Leadership skills in Food and Nutrition, Essential for National Development. CFTRI, Mysore (India), June 23-25, 2006
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, P. Uday Kumar and B. Sesikeran. (2005) Spontaneous pathological lesions of liver and lungs in Preclinical Toxicology Evaluation studies. Indian Journal of Veterinary Pathology. 29(2): 102-105.
- S. Chennaiah., S.S.Y.H. Qadri., S.V. Rama Rao., G. Shyamsunder and N. Raghuramulu (2004) Cestrum diurnum leaf as a source of 1,25(OH)2 Vitamin D3 improves egg shell thickness. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (Elsevier, Belgium) 89-90, pp 589-594. (I.F. 2.715).
- D. Sreeramulu., K. Madhavan Nair., S.S.Y.H. Qadri and B. Siva Kumar., (1997). Changes in biochemical indicators of iron status during iron repletion and depletion in monkeys. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 41: 126-136.
- Shiva prakash M., Qadri S.S.Y.H. and Suresh P., (1995). Incidence and management of Taenia taeniformis (liver cyst) infestation in Laboratory rats. Laboratory Animals India, July, Vol. 5., No.2.
- D. Sreeramulu., S.S.Y.H. Qadri., K. Madhavan Nair., and B. Siva Kumar., (1994). Original paper: Induction of dietary Iron deficiency in Rhesus monkeys: Sequential changes in serum ferritin and other biochemical indicators of Iron status. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 38: 322- 330.
- Hemalatha P., Bhaskaram P., S.S.Y.H. Qadri and Ajeya Kumar P., (1993). Assessment of mild Zinc deficiency in children. Nutrition Research. 13 (20) 115-122.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H., Sesikeran B., (1992). Spontaneous fibrous histiocytoma in Sprague Dawley rats. Laboratory Animals India. Vol. 1., No. 4., pp. 36-40.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H., Suresh P. (1992) Cervical lymphadenitis in Guinea pigs. Laboratory Animals India, April. Vol. 1, No. 3., p-35-37.
- Vijayalaxmi R., S.S.Y.H. Qadri and Deosthale, Y., (1991). Effect of Eugenol on gastric functions in rats. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition. 10, 161-169.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H. (1990) Pathology of Laboratory Animals. LAISC Newsletter. Vol. 23. pp. 1-8.
- 1st Annual Course in Toxicologic Pathology, organized by the Charles Louis Davis, D.V.M. Foundation USA and Society for Toxicologic pathology in India, 13-15 March, 2008, Pune.
- Descriptive Gross and Microscopic Veterinary Pathology in Necropsy and Biopsy, CL Davis Foundation, USA at IVRI, Izatnagar, Bareilly, 10-12 November 2008.
- WHO/TDR sponsored GCLP workshop, 27-30 May 2008 at RMRIMS (ICMR) Patna, Bihar.
- International Workshop on Toxicology towards Diplomate of American Board of Toxicology (DABT), 8-12 October, 2007, Veterinary College Hebbal and Advinus Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore.
- Good Laboratory Practices in Animal Toxicity and Pathology Studies, 19 Jan, 2007, IIBAT, Chennai.
- Current trends in Toxicologic Pathology in India & Continuing Professional Development (CPD) seminar of the British Society of Toxicological Pathologists, 25-27 August, 2006.
- ‘Principles of histological basis of gross pathology of CL Davis Foundation of USA”, and XXII Annual convention of Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, November 25-27, 2005 organized by Krantisinh Nana Patil College of Veterinary Science, Shirval, Maharastra.
- GLP in Risk Assessment of Crop Protection Chemicals, Biotech Products and Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, 11 March, 2006, IIBAT, Chennai.
- Animal Welfare - Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, United Kingdom and the Animal Welfare Board of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India, Chennai in 1992.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H, Incidence and management of Taenia taeniformis (liver cyst) infestation in Laboratory rats. III Asian Congress of Parasitology, February 1993, CDRI, Lucknow.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H and Suresh P. (1995). Sendai virus infection in Laboratory rodents and its significance in research. National Symposium on “Impact of Diseases on Livestock/Poultry Production and Wildlife Conservation”, and “XII Annual convention of Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, November 9 – 11.
- S. Chennaiah, S.S.Y.H. Qadri, S.V. Rama Rao, G. Shyamsunder and N. Raghuramulu. (2000.). Addition of Cestrum diurnum leaf powder in broiler diet improves feed Efficiency: XI Workshop on Vitamin D at Nashville, TN, USA, May 27th – 1st June.
- M. Shiva Prakash and S.S.Y.H. Qadri (2000). Development of Immunodiagnostic kits for rapid screening of bacterial pathogens in laboratory animals: International Conference on Microbial Biotechnology, Trade and Public Policy, Osmania University, Hyderabad., July 15-17.
- A. Kotoky, S.S.Y.H. Qadri and V. Jagadeesan (2001) Hepatoprotective action of some medicinal plants from North East Region of India: Indian Pharmacological Society, Nagpur.
- S. Chennaiah, S.S.Y.H. Qadri, S.V. Rama Rao, G. Shyamsunder and N. Raghuramulu, (2002) Beneficial role of Cestrum diurnum in poultry: Deluca Symposium on Vitamin D at Taos, New Mexico, June 15-19.
- S. Chennaiah, S.S.Y.H. Qadri, S.V. Rama Rao, G. Shyamsunder and N. Raghuramulu. (2002) Cestrum diurnum leaf powder improves bone strength in broilers: 71st Annual Meeting of Society of Biological Chemists of India, Ludhiana, India, Nov. 14-16.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Ethics on the use of animals for experimentation”, in the Seminar on August 20th 2003 at The University of Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “CPCSEA, Good Laboratory Practices”, October 11th 2004 at, the College of Veterinary Sciences, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Ethical aspects and related procedures during the conduct of animal experimentation”, 11th December 2004 at Vimta Labs Ltd. Cherlapally, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, ‘Toxicological evaluation of Biological Products on lab animals – ethical issues and CPCSEA regulations’, during the Refresher Course on Biotechnology sponsored by the APNL Biotechnology Program during 21st February 2005 to 11th March 2005 at Center for Plant Molecular Biology, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri,, “Animal House Facilities – CPCSEA guidelines, Veterinary services, duties and responsibilities of AHF inspectors”, on February 19, 2005 at International Institute for Biotechnology & Toxicology (IIBAT), Padappai, Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, Paper presented – ‘Background Pathological lesions encountered during preclinical toxicological evaluation studies and their biological significance’, National Symposium and XXI Annual Conference of Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologists (IAVP) 23-25 November, 2004 at the Department of Veterinary Pathology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, Plenary Lecture on “Ethics and Animal Experimentation”, during the 22nd Conference of the Indian Society for Comparative Animal Physiology and Stress Physiology, November 14-16, 2005, organized by the Department of Zoology, Osmania University, Hyderabad .
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Biotechnology products: Testing Procedures”, on 8th October, 2005 during the One Day Seminar on “New Trends in Scientific Research”, at the Academic Staff College, JNTU, organized by the Royal Society of Chemistry (London), Deccan Section, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Animal House Facilities” Seminar and CPCSEA Nominee Training Workshop (West Zone), 15-16 September 2005, at ACTREC, Navi Mumbai.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Post Mortem examination of Laboratory Animals - protocols’, and ‘Processing tissues for Histopathology – theory and demonstration’, during the XXVI Supervisors Training Course (12th September to 9th December 2005) of the National Center for Laboratory Animal Sciences (NCLAS), NIN, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, paper titled, ‘Toxicological Evaluation of Ayurvedic Formulations [coded formulations]’, during the First Annual conference of the Society for Toxicologic Pathology in India ”Current Trends in Toxicologic Pathology in India and continuing professional development seminar in collaboration with the British Society of Toxicological Pathologists”, August 25-27, organized by STPI India at Bangalore.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Staff Development Programme” of AICTE organized by Bharat Institute of Technology – Pharmacy, R.R. District, A.P. on the topic ‘Ethics in Animal Experimentation” between 19th to 27th April, 2006.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, ‘Registration of Animal House and Related Regulations’ during the first session of the National Symposium on ‘Care and Management of Experimental Animals’, organized jointly by the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram and CPCSEA, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India, on 15-16 February, 2007.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Pre-clinical toxicology studies for Unani medicines (Animal Studies)” during the Re-orientation Training Programme for Unani Physicians held between 19th February to 5th March 2007 and organized by the Government Nizamia Tibbi College, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Monitoring of Hematological Parameters in Preclinical Toxicology studies”, to the participants of the Training Program for Officers of CCRAS in PCT Techniques, 5th March to 9th March 2007 organized by NIN, Hyderabad and sponsored by CCRAS, AYUSH, ISM, New Delhi.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Quality control in Experimental Animals – need for health and genetic monitoring of animals”, during the First National Conference on ‘Rational use of Animals in Research’, November 1-2, 2006, IICT, Auditorium, organized by LASA, IPS and NIN, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, paper on “Diseases of laboratory animals”, XXIV Annual Conference of IAVP, National Symposium on Immunopathological and Molecular Approaches for Disease Diagnosis in Livestock and Poultry including Wild Animals, 2-3 October 2007, Organized by Dept. of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Science, Tirupati, SVVU, A.P. 517 501.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, paper on “Health monitoring in lab animals”, Second National Conference on Current Perspectives and Future Challenges in Laboratory Animal Management, December 29-30, 2007, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “CPCSEA rules” in the Seminar on “Changing Trends in Animal Experimentation”, on 12th September 2008 at NIPER, Hyderabad.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Spontaneously occurring pathologies in laboratory animals and their significance in relation to animal experiments” in the National Symposium on Animal Models in Biomedical Research: Ethical and Welfare Issues, February 25-26, 2009.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “Current status of Laboratory Animal Science in India”. The 4th Asian Federation of Laboratory Animal Science Congress Meeting, 5th AMMRA Meeting & 11th CSLAS Annual Meeting, Nov. 9-11, 2010, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Innovative approaches in Non-clinical safety evaluation of Oral recombinant Anti Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine (Hpv 16 And 18) in Mice, Rats. , Poster presentation during the 17th World Congress of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology (WCP2014) to be held from 13-18 July 2014 at the CTICC in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Role of type of dietary fat in the etiopathogenesis of Carcinogen-induced Breast Neoplasm in female Fischer rats. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism. 20th International Congress of Nutrition, Granada, Spain . Sept 15-20, 2013.
- S.S.Y.H. Qadri, “International Historical Perspective on The threat of Extremism to Medical Research”. International Summit of the FASEB, June 11-12, 2012, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- Mehraj, Ayesha Ismail and Qadri SSYH, “Calcium alone can partially correct the Vitamin-D deficiency induced muscle atrophy”. Society of Biological Chemists, Kolkata, Nov. 8-11,2012. PP:MN18
- Syed SYH Qadri, International Historical Prespectives - CONFERENCE REPORT OF THE FEDERATION OF AMERICAN SOCIETIES FOR EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY (FASEB), The threat of Extremism to Medical Research : An International Summit, June 11-12, 2012, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- Syed SYH Qadri and Christian E. Newcomer: Chapter: Laws, Regulations, and Guidelines Shaping Research Animal Care and Use in India, Chapter 8, pp 219 – 242 in “LABORATORY ANIMALS – Regulations and Recommendations for Global Collaborative Research”, Editor, Javier Guillén, Elsevier, Academic Press, 2014.
Articles In Newsletters:
- Qadri S.S.Y.H. (1994) Japanese quail – care, breeding and management. LAISC Newsletter. Vol.32. pp. 1-10.
- Giridharan N.V., Kalyanasundaram K., Suresh P., and Qadri S.S.Y.H. (1992). Laboratory Animal Users Guide. Published by LAISC, NIN, Hyderabad.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H. (1990) Euthanasia of Laboratory Animals. LAISC Newsletter. Vol. 24. pp. 1-8.
- Qadri S.S.Y.H. (1988) Laboratory Animal Surgery, Techniques and Pre and Post-operative Care, LAISC Newsletter. Vol. 20. pp. 1-22.
Awards And Recognition:
- Visiting Scientist – Okhlahoma Medical Research Foundation, Okhlahoma, USA. 13th – 25th April 2013.
- Visiting Scientist – National Jewish Hospitals, Denver, USA. 13th - 21st June 2012.
- Member of the Strategic Planning Committee of the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC), April 2013, MD, USA.
- Member of the Committee for International Guidelines on “Threat of Extremism to Medical Research” of the FEDERATION OF AMERICAN SOCIETIES FOR EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY (FASEB), June 11-12, 2012, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- Awarded the “BHAGWAN MAHAVEER VISHWA SADHBHAVANA PURASKAR-1999”, for Environment and Animal Protection by the Mahaveer Sangh Andhra Pradesh.
- “YOUNG SCIENTIST AWARD IN VETERINARY PATHOLOGY”, 1995 by the Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologists.
- “GOLD MEDAL” for securing the highest marks in M.V.Sc. (Pathology), 1987, in the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad.